Search This Blog

Monday, June 27, 2011

"Are You Drinking the Blood of Young Children?"




This question was asked by one of the many people who think I look a lot younger than my age. In fact, I still get carded and would be flattered if I do until I’m 50. Yes, I am Asian so I do have good genes on my side. My dad is 86 and he looks 20 years younger. Another question I get asked a lot is “Can you make me look younger?” Well, yeah of course, temporarily. But here are some pointers you can follow yourself in order to take years off your age.
1. Take good care of your skin.  Wear sunscreen and make sure to use skincare products that make a noticeable impact.
2. “You are what you eat.”  Don’t eat crap all the time or you will feel and LOOK LIKE CRAP. Duh. Eat high fiber, high protein, and low-fat foods. Eat lots of fresh organic fruits and raw veggies. Eat foods high in good fats and omega 3 fatty acids such as nuts, avocados, organic eggs, and fish. Minimize intake of sugary, fried, fatty, processed, high sodium foods. Anything “bad” in moderation, right? Sure. I eat a few pieces of dark chocolate everyday. Just don’t eat a pound all at once.
3. Reduce overall stress level.  For example, if you hate your job, stop complaining about it and try something different. If your friends are always stressing you out, maybe it’s time to hang out with new ones.  Stress causes zits, too.
4. Exercise at least 2-3x a week. This will help to reduce stress and make you want to eat better.
5. Date someone 10 years younger.  Hehe, just jokin'.

And just so you know, my skin hasn’t always looked great. My skin broke out a lot, felt dry, tight, and my nose looked like an oil slick because up until I started cosmetics at 28 I was using all the wrong skincare products. Grade school and high school don’t teach you about how to take care of your skin. And there are so many products out there how do you know which ones are going to work for you until after you try them? If no one is teaching you what’s good for your skin, shopping for skincare is like playing Roulette. When I was in junior high and high school I thought the stinky Noxzema white cream stuff, amber-colored Neutrogena liquid, stinging Sea Breeze toner, and gritty St. Ives Apricot Scrub were all great for my skin thanks to afterschool tv commercials and Sassy magazine ads. I mean, if my skin made a squeaky clean sound after I used these products, that meant that I was doing a great job in cleaning my skin, right? WRONG. After 10 years in cosmetics I have learned that this is not the feeling you want after washing with the right cleanser. To learn about cleansers and proper skincare, read the article "Amazing Makeup Starts with Good Skin."


No comments:

Post a Comment